Facebook notifications are a major part of our online experience. In fact, they’ve become so integrated into our daily routines we worry when we don’t get them. However, as important as they may be, they can be annoying. The messages and updates that inform you of the activities of your friends, pages, applications, and other things you subscribe to can overwhelm your inbox or your Facebook notification menu. Thankfully, Facebook allows you to stop notifications whenever you want. You can also block or unsubscribe from pages, groups, and topics you no longer find interesting. Here are step-by-step instructions on how to stop Facebook notifications.
Every time your friends post something on Facebook, you automatically get notifications. Fortunately, you can stop or change the notifications you receive. Here’s how to do it:
1. From your News Feed, hover your mouse over the left column and scroll down till you get to Friends. Click on the icon. A list of your friends will appear.
2. Click on Close Friends. Click on the top-right button titled “Manage List.”
3. Click on Choose Type Updates to choose updates you want to get notifications on.
1. Move your mouse to the upper-right corner of Facebook and click on Settings. A page titled “General Account Settings” will appear.
2. Click on Notifications on the left side of the page.
3. Click on Email. This will open the Notification Settings.
4. Choose the type of email notifications you want to receive by clicking the view or edit buttons.
If you have been invited to an event by a friend, page, or group, you can reject the invitation when you RSVP. If you’ve joined an event or responded with Maybe, stop notifications by following these simple steps:
1. Click on the event page
2. Click on the three dots (…) on the upper-right side below the event image. They are located next to Going and Invite.
3. Choose Stop Notifications.
You can also turn off event notifications when they appear on your news feed.
App and Game Notifications
If you are getting too many app and game notifications, do the following:
1. Click on Settings on the top-right corner of Facebook.
2. In General Account Settings, click on Notifications.
3. Click on App Requests and Activity then click on edit.
4. Uncheck any apps or games you don’t want to receive notifications on.
5. Click Close.
To turn off group notifications, do this:
1. Go to the group and click on the notifications button. It is on the upper-right corner of the page next to the Joined and Share buttons.
2. You can deactivate notifications for All Posts, Highlights, or Friends’ Posts. You can also turn off all notifications by clicking Off.
If a group has more than 250 members, its notification settings are set to Highlights. However, members can change their individual notification settings.
Pop-up notifications appear when you are logged in. These appear in real time as your friends interact with you or comment on posts. To stop these notifications:
1. Click on the X that appears when you hover your mouse over the notification.